PREPay program explained
PRECorp offers its residential members the option to prepay for their electric service through a program called PREPay Meter Service, or PREPay, for short.
The PREPay program is supported by the installation of the Advanced Metering Infrastructure project (AMI). The AMI meters are equipped for near real-time monitoring of usage, and is paired with account balance information, enabling the new service offering.
PREPay is designed as a ‘pay-as-you-go’ service offering for those members who want greater control over their electric usage and costs. At its simplest, members prepay for their electric service by establishing a credit balance on their PREPay account. As that credit balance gets low, they receive email or text notifications to make additional payments to avoid suspension of their electric service.
- PREPay is an opt-in, voluntary program for members. No one is required to enroll.
- PREPay allows participants the freedom to pay as their budget allows. There is no “due date”.
- PREPay gives participants greater control over their monthly electric service usage.
- PREPay participants are not required to pay a security deposit on their account, and those with a security deposit today are eligible to have it applied to their PREPay account balance and/or refunded.
- PREPay participants may discontinue participation in PREPay and return to traditional account at any time.
- PREPay payments can be made at any time, day or night, online or on your mobile device via SmartHub or over the phone. Payments can also be made during normal business hours at the Cooperative’s offices.
- It’s easy to enroll, members simply sign a PREPay service agreement outlining program terms and conditions and prepay at least $50 on their PREPay account.
- PREPay is billed on a daily basis and program participants pay ahead rather than after-the-fact.
- PREPay is billed at the same exact rates as a traditional service.
- PREPay Participants will be notified with alerts via phone, email, or text message when the account balance is low, allowing time for program participants to make additional prepayments.
- PREPay Participants also will be notified when the account balance is depleted, and disconnection of service is pending. During cold weather periods from November 1 through April 30, PRECorp will make extra efforts to notify PREPay members prior to disconnection of service.
- Members with health issues requiring life support equipment are not eligible to participate in PREPay.
- Members are responsible to pay any outstanding account balances prior to enrollment.
- Members enrolled in budget billing or auto-pay programs cannot participate in PREPay at the same time.
- Members with an outstanding loan from PRECorp must pay off the outstanding balance prior to enrolling in PREPay.
- Members are responsible for maintaining and monitoring their PREPay account.